Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The High Druid's Blade

Book: The High Druid's Blade
Author: Terry Brooks
Rating:★★★★
                                                                                                                                                              

 This delightful ARC was provided by NetGalley. The book itself will be published on July 8th. I give this release four stars... although that might be a bit generous. Read it for yourself and see!

  As a long time Terry Brooks fan, I always enjoy reading his new releases. I love returning to the world of Shannara. Even though this book is set further in the future it is still familiar. New readers won't miss a beat. The story isn't built too much upon older books. However for long-time readers will find familiar names.

The book is built around the Leah family. Paxon, the protective older brother looking to protect his crazy younger sister. All the while they get caught in a much bigger plot. Betrayal among the Druids order and a nasty sorcerer named Arcannen.

Is the story enough though? Compared to some of the amazing new releases this year does this book stand up? I find myself sort of caught. I love returning to Shannara for the nostalgia. I would recommend the book to long-time readers. I also think this is a good book for readers looking for a lighter fantasy book. Someone looking for an adventure and some fun without too much complexity. You don't have to learn a new language to read the book, or commit to 1000 pages.

At the same time the book is missing a lot. The characters just aren't developed. You barely have a chance to get to know them-- then they are in the thick of being tortured.  I worry that new readers will find this one lacking.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment