Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Queen of the Tearling

Book: The Queen of the Tearling
Author: Erika Johansen
R
ating:★★★★

                                                           

     My latest read was a fun one! This book will be available to purchase July 8th. I received the ARC through Edelweiss. I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel. I had never hear of Erika Johansen or this book. Now I'm asking myself-- why not? It's was so good.
      We begin the book with Kelsea. For nineteen years she lived in isolation. Raised by foster parents who teach her all they can (except for anything to with her mother). She is the heir to the Tear throne. When her nineteenth birthday comes, it is time to take her crown. With many out to keep that from happening, she is hunted all the way to the throne, and after. She finds many things are not what she expected. Her country is poor, her people starving and her mother was no saint. She has navigate the injustices in her land while trying to keep her head. A formidable evil, the Red Queen threatens to make war on her land. Kelsea has inherited a rather big job.
    The book itself is a classic fantasy setting--- but it's actually a dystopian book as well. This instantly sets it apart. At first the dystopian element seemed lacking. As the book progresses though, your knowledge grows. It was a really interesting addition. I have a feeling that in future books this will become more important.
    Female main characters are something a lot of fantasy writers struggle with. They are often one-note, beautiful, invincible, and stronger than any man. I thought that this author did an amazing job writing this character. She was very real. Plain and just a little tubby. Kelsea had her strengths and her weaknesses. She was guided by a strong sense of justice and was willing to make personal sacrifices to fulfill it. I think writing a strong female character takes a deft hand. I was surprised and pleased by how much I like Kelsea.
     I can actually say I didn't skim any parts of this book. I didn't want to miss a thing. The plot is full of intrigue. It keeps going and it doesn't stop. All the supporting characters were very strong. None seemed unnecessary. The villain is formidable, fear inspiring. But not invincible.
     The romance element was done with a light touch. It is obviously something that is going to be built on. I feel like this was a very balanced book between light and dark. There is obviously a dark element. Instead of overpowering the book these just make the good parts of the book all the better.
    I really hope that the author is writing a sequel to this book! I will buy it. I think a sequel will add a little more depth where this one lacks. There are so many mysteries that I want to know the answers to. These are the sorts of questions that will keep me reading.     

No comments:

Post a Comment