Monday, July 28, 2014

White Rabbit

Book: White Rabbit
Author: K.A. Laity

Rating:★★★★
                                                   

       What do you do when you can hear the undead-- but don't really want to hear them? You take a few snorts of fairy dust and become a "fake" psychic. So here we find our main character, Draygo, when he gets a famous client. Which is going great until she gets shot at his table, courtesy of her husband. This sends Draygo down the White Rabbit hole. He is joined by Saunders, a journalist who wants to get to the bottom of the white rabbit as well.  
         This book drove me crazy. From the moment it began I both loved and hated the main character. This is not the hero you want to sweep you off your feet, this is the one you want to punch in the gut. A fraud and boozer who can hear from the undead but shuts them out. The story is sort of a crazy ride, it does not pause to explain itself, just keeps going ahead. While the story is interesting, it also contains some deep questions. The reader has something to chew on when the book ends. 
         What I found irksome about this book is the thousands of loose ends. If you are looking for a story with a complete ending, where everything is fleshed out, this is not it. This made a little crazy. There were a few key scenes and components that just don't get explained. I still have so many questions. While I can say these things frustrated me, they didn't ruin the book for me. I definitely suggest reading this book with a strong cup of coffee, if you didn't want one when it started, you will by the end. Seriously, send Jinx my way.    
*Thanks to NetGalley for the Arc, all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment