Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Fool's Assassin-- Today is the Day!!

Book: Fool's Assassin
Author: Robin Hobb
Rating:★★★★★














 For anybody waiting for the newest Robin Hobb release, you're in luck! I thought I would share my opinion on why you should pick this one up!

First of all-- if you want to believe that Fitz lives out the rest of his days in happiness-- just don't read this one ;) I was surprised when I learned that Robin Hobb had another book for this series. Over the years I have enjoyed them all. I wondered though, what else there could be to say? Apparently, a lot. In fact at the close of the book it felt like all the others had just been the beginning. A lot of the information reader's think is true is called into question.

While the book centers on the everyday domestic life of Fitz, it is anything but boring. We are introduced to a new character Bee, his unexpected daughter.  We even get to see the world through her eyes at times. The perspective shift in the book was refreshing. I truly fell in love with Bee. She is a character I think readers will really connect with.

Bee is not the only new character. We are introduced to a few other new faces. It is always nice to see old ones as well. Because the main character and Chade age so slowly there is a chance for a lot of history to be built. The time span gives us the opportunity to really get to know Bee. The book brought plenty of new mysteries to be unraveled. Even though the plot seemed so clear to me, I found myself surprised at times.


The book is of course, in true Robin Hobb style. Whenever things seem to fall in place for a character, Robin is there is cut it all short. Whenever there is a chance on happiness, she is there to twist the knife. While I loved the book and think Robin Hobb an amazing author, I am wary about reading on in this series. These books have a tendency to go dark at times. The final line of the book was "Nothing warned me on the bright day that the darkest time of my life had begun." I just don't know if I want to meet a darker Fitz. He has been through very dark times, yet apparently it was only the start. I suppose I will have to leave it all in the author's hands. She has proven herself more than capable. I hope she continues to strike a balance between dark and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment